Wayne and I could not have asked for a more wonderful long awaited second honeymoon. Our first was a short 2 days in San Francisco in 1974 (teaching and coaching demands called for a quick return). Our trip to Ireland was set aside so many times because of the parental demands of a family of 5 wonderful children. To our surprise they presented us with tickets to Ireland for our wedding anniversary October 2006. It was a dream coming true.
Now, we were putting faces with names. Coming to know those that I have written to for almost 20 years. It was wonderful how we were taken in by family as family. It is not hard to fall in love with Ireland. However, when it falls in love with you, well that is a match.
The years of uncovering missing links was soon to come to a close. After the 2007 and return 2008 summer trips, the documents were found. Then, another year of paperwork and June 2009 my application for Irish citizenship was registered. The next waiting period began: 12-14 months before I would hear any information on my citizenship request. Now, 13 months have passed and each day as the mail arrives I look for the long awaited approval letter. I could not be more proud to carry dual citizenship to both our great United States of America and the emerald island Ireland, home of both my maternal grandparents.

No comments:
Post a Comment